What is L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate?
L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate (LOLA) is a combination of two natural nonessential L-amino acids: ornithine and aspartic acid. Combining the two together, in theory, makes LOLA more effective through increased bioavailability. Research has shown that LOLA can reduce elevated ammonia levels in the blood. As we exercise ammonia levels slowly increase in skeletal muscle. This increase inhibits muscle protein contractility and induces muscular fatigue.
What are the benefits of supplementing with L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate?
LOLA supplementation offers a multitude of ergogenic advantages. First LOLA can counteract the increase in ammonia concentrations in the blood caused by exercise, allowing you to exercise harder for longer by delaying fatigue. Second, it can decrease cortisol levels in the body. Cortisol is a catabolic hormone that when elevated, can lead to the breakdown of muscle protein and slow down recovery time. Third, it may be able to stimulate the release of human growth hormone acutely. Behind testosterone, HGH is one of the most potent anabolic hormones produced by the body. Lastly, LOLA can increase lean muscle mass and power. The is likely due to the first three benefits of LOLA discussed is this section.
What does the research say?
Here is a summary of key studies on L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate:
- A 2008 study conducted by Suqino et al. discovered supplementation of ornithine for six days before testing was able to reduce perceptions of fatigue to 52% of placebo on a prolonged endurance test without affecting heart rate of blood pressure during the exercise. Ammonia accrual during training was also reduced.
- Elam et al. found men who supplemented with 1 gram of LOLA/daily over the course of 5 weeks in conjunction with a strength training program were able to increase lean mass and muscular power compared to placebo.
- Bucci et al. observed that bodybuilders who consumed LOLA over three successive Saturdays experienced a significant rise in growth hormone levels (318% above baseline) 90 minutes after supplementation.
When is the best time to take L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate?
LOLA should be consumed 45 minutes before working out as research shows peak levels in the blood occur after this amount of time.
Are there any adverse side effects?
No serious adverse events have been reported. However, large amounts of LOLA (greater than 6 grams) can cause intestinal discomfort and diarrhea. Also, anyone who is taking a prescription medication should first consult with a doctor before taking LOLA.
LOLA is an effective supplement that reduces ammonia concentrations in the blood and thus enhances performance during prolonged exercise.
To recap LOLA can:
- Decrease ammonia levels in the blood
- Delay fatigue
- Lower cortisol levels
- Increase lean mass and muscular power
- Cause an acute increase in growth hormone
Ready to try L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate?
Performax Lab’s innovative pre-workout HyperMaxXT contains LOLA and other performance enhancing ingredients that work individually and synergistically to help prepare your body physiologically and psychologically by amplifying energy, promoting vascularity, improving focus, and supporting increases in muscular strength, power, and endurance.